Please log-in to access additional teaching resources.
Newspapers are the hub that connect people to their communities. They
- connect and inform readers about local events and issues
- offer a source of reputable up-to-date information
- act as advocates, giving readers a voice and sharing points of view
What is NiE?
NiE is an acronym for Newspapers in Education. The NiE programme supports the use of newspapers as an educational tool, at home and in the classroom.
Newspapers are ideal resources to support The New Zealand Curriculum vision for young people who will be "confident, connected, actively involved, and lifelong learners."
- engages students in real life contexts beyond the
- helps develop a regular reading habit
- raises literacy and increases social awareness
- has skills-based resources available for purchase
Community minded businesses help us to deliver newspapers at a reduced rate to schools, and free to selected homes, ensuring students get the most out of reading their local newspaper.